TRING is a market town and parish on the road to Aylesbury
and on the Buckinghamshire border of the county, with a station 1¾
miles distant (and locally in Aldbury parish), on the
Midland and Scottish railway, and 31¾ miles from London; the town is
7 miles south-east from Aylesbury and 4½ north-west from
Berkhamsted, in the Hemel Hempstead division of the county, Dacorum
hundred and petty sessional division, Aylesbury county court
district, and in the rural deanery of Berkhamsted and archdeaconry
and diocese of St. Albans; the Grand Union canal
passes near the station, and has a branch to
Gas and electricity are
available; water is supplied by the
Chiltern Hills Spring
Water Co. The town is
sewered on the
broad irrigation system.
Under the Local Government Act, 1894 (56 and 57 Vict. c. 73), the
Urban portion of the parish is governed by an Urban District Council
of 12 members, which took the place of the Local Board established
in 1859. By the same Act, Tring was divided into two civil
parishes, Urban and Rural, the latter having a Parish Council of 7
members, and comprising Long Marston and Wilstone, which see.
The church of SS. Peter and Paul is an ancient building of
stone and flint in the Perpendicular style, with features of an
earlier date, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and
a massive embattled western tower containing 8 bells, dating from
1624 to 1882; the bells were re-hung, as a memorial to the late
Frederick J. Bright and his wife Caroline Mary, by their daughter:
the interior was restored in 1862 and the church partially rebuilt
in 1880 and 1881, a new clock, chiming the quarters, being at the
same time placed in the tower; this restoration was completed in
March, 1882: in 1900 a rood screen and loft of carved oak were
erected, the east end of the south aisle formed into a chapel, and
the chancel panelled in oak and decorated, the whole cost being
defrayed by a lady resident in the parish: the reredos was erected
in memory of J. G. Williams esq. a former patron of the benefice:
the church seats 500. The register dates from 1566. The
living is a vicarage, net yearly value £535, and residence, in the
gift of Major Vivian Williams O.B.E. and held since 1930 by the Rev.
Claud Thomas Thellusson Wood M.C., M.A. of Trinity College,
Cambridge. St. Martha’s, Park road, St. George’s, New
Mill a mission church at Hastoe are chapels of ease. The Roman
Catholic church of Corpus Christi was built in 1918, by the late
Rev. Henry H. Hardy M.A. and has 100 sittings. The Baptist
chapel, High street, founded in 1750, seats 450: there is also a
Strict Baptist chapel in Akeman street, seating 850, and one
at New Mill, founded in 1655, seating 600; Ebenezer Baptist
chapel, Chapel street, will seat 300, and there is a Methodist
church in Langdon street, with 200 sittings. The Church
House, Western road, erected in 1897, is of red brick and is
used for meetings &c. There is a Salvation Army Hall in Albert
Cemetery, in Aylesbury road, provided in 1894, is managed by
the Urban District Council: there is one chapel: the area is 4a. 3r.
27p.; part of the ground has been consecrated.
The ancient Market House was taken down, and another erected
in 1898 on a site presented by the first Lord Rothschild, d. 1915;
the building contains a hall, used by the Council, and offices for
the clerk and surveyor, with a ﬁre brigade station, committee and
store rooms underneath. A market is held on Friday. The
fair on Easter Monday and Old Michaelmas Day is still held. A
sale of fat stock is held in the Cattle Market, Brook street, every
Monday at 1.30 p.m.; W. Brown & Co. auctioneers.
The Rothschild Zoological Museum, erected in 1889, by Lord
Rothschild F.R.S. contains special collections for scientific
research. The original building is a large house of two
storeys, access to the upper galleries being obtained by a stone
staircase: two wings, containing ornithological and entomological
departments, were added in 1912: the museum contains Lord
Rothschild’s private Natural History collections; the ground floor
is devoted to birds and mammals, and the upper floors to sponges,
corals, molluscs, fishes, mammals and reptiles, besides insects and
crustaceans. The collection of butterflies and moths is one of
the largest in the world but only open to inspection by students.
There is also a taxidermist’s workshop; Dr. Karl Jordan is director
of the museum. Attached to the museum is a special zoological
library. The museum is open as follows:— October 1st to March
31st, monday, tuesday & wednesday, from 1 to 4 p.m. and friday, 10
a.m. to 12 noon and 2 to 4 p.m.; April 1st to September 30th, monday
and tuesday, 3 to 6 p.m.; wednesday, 3 to 7 p.m.; and friday, 10
a.m. to 12 noon and 3 to 6 p.m.; Easter Monday, Whit Monday and
Boxing Day, 10 a.m. to 12 noon and 2 to 4 p.m.; August Bank Holiday,
10 a.m. to 12 noon and 2 to 6 p.m.; closed, Good Friday and
The Tring Nursing
Home occupies premises in Station road, presented by Lady
Rothschild, and includes an accident ward; it is vested in two
trustees and supported by voluntary contributions. An
was erected in 1901 by the Urban District Council, and has twenty
beds. The Tring Poor’s Land, formerly consisting of 107a. 3r.
7p. of land and 3 houses, has been sold and the proceeds invested in
Consols, producing an annual income of £127, which is distributed in
coal at Christmas. The other charities, now consolidated, and
yielding an income of about £140, are administered under a scheme
framed by the Charity Commissioners in 1884, which allows the
application of the funds specified in it for the benefit, in various
ways, of the poor, and to support hospitals and convalescent homes
and maintain the recreation ground at Mortimer’s hill.
Tring Park, the property of Lord Rothschild, and at present (1937)
unoccupied, is pleasantly seated amid lovely woodlands scenery, with
undulating slopes richly timbered on all sides. Lord
Rothschild is Lord of the manor of Tring, and the principal
landowner. The soil, which rests on the lower chalk formation,
The area of Tring Urban parish and district is 4,407 acres of land
and inland water; the population in 1931 was 4,364.
Little Tring and Tring Grove are hamlets. At Little Tring, 1
mile from Tring, are the Grand Union Canal Water
pumping station and
reservoir; the latter is 405 feet above the sea, being a. triﬂe
higher than the summit of St. Paul’s, London; there are 55 locks on
the canal between Northchurch and the Thames.
Sub-Post, M. O., T & T.E.D. Office, High street
Town Sub-Post, M. O. & Tel. Call Office, King street
Post & M. O. Office & Tel. Call Office, New Mill.
Letters through Tring, the nearest T. office
URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL.
Offices, Council chambers, High street. Meeting day,
the first tuesday in every month at 6.30 p.m.
All retire in April, 1940.
Chairman, Ellis Houchen.
Vice-Chairman, George Macdonald Brown.
Herbert John Baldock
Horace Victor Desborough
Robert James Kettle
William Joseph Root
Alfred James Tompkins
Miss M. Vaisey
Frank Lionel Westron
Clerk, H. J. Gurney, Council chambers, High street
Treasurers, National Provincial Bank Ltd. 20 High St
Medical Officer of Health, Malcolm Gross M.B., D.P.H.
Town hall, Hemel Hempstead
Surveyor & Sanitary Inspector, Herbert N. Hedges,
Council chambers, High street
Collector, E. Gilbert, Longfield road.
Cemetery, H. J. Gurney, clerk
Fire Brigade, Council chambers, High street
Nursing Home, Station road, Miss M. Bond, nurse in
Police Station, High street
Rothschild Zoological Museum, Akeman street & Park
road; Dr. Karl Jordan, director of the museum
Urban District Isolation Hospital, Little Tring road,
E. M. Brown B.A., M.D., C. E. O’Keeffe L.R.C.P.
& S.I. & H.. N. Knox M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P. hon.
Certifying Factory Surgeon, Admiralty Surgeon, Medi-
cal Officer & Public Vaccinator, Aldbury District,
Dacorum Area Guardians Committee, Charles Edward
O’Keeffe L.R.C.P. & S.I. 23 High street
Joint Clerk to the Dacorum Assessment Committee,
Kenneth R. Webb, High street
Surveyor & Sanitary Inspector to Tring Urban District
Council, Herbert N. Hedges, Council chambers,
Registrar of Births & Deaths for Tring Sub-District,
Berkhamsted District, Edgar W. Bagnall, 71 High
street; deputy, Arthur James Bagnall, 1 Albert street
Medical Officer & Public Vaccinator, Tring District,
Dacorum Area Guardians Committee, Edward Middle-
ton Brown B.A., M.D. 91 High street
Relieving & Vaccination Officer & Collector to the
Guardians, F. Sparrow, King’s chambers, Lower
King’s road, Great Berkhamsted
PLACES OF WORSHIP.
Peter & Paul (Parish) Church, Rev. Claud Thomas
Thellusson Wood M.C., M.A. vicar
Roman Catholic, Corpus Christi, 50 Langdon street,
Rev. William Nevill O.S.C., hon. C.F. priest
Baptist (Strict), Akeman street
Baptist (Ebenezer), Chapel street, by supply
Baptist (Strict), New Mill
Baptist Chapel, High street
Methodist, Langdon street (Berkhamsted Circuit), Rev.
E. E. W. Ramm
Railway Station (L. M. & S)
Conveyance.—Motor omnibus starts from Beaconsﬁeld
road, calling at the ‘Rose & Crown,’ High st. to
Tring railway station, several times daily
Motor omnibuses pass through, between Berkhamsted
& Aylesbury, at frequent intervals
CARRIERS to :—
& all parts, L. M. & S. Railway, daily; parcel
receiving office, 34 High street
Angell Francis, Chilterns, Grove rd
Baldock Herbert Jn. 28 Frogmore st
Barraclough Sydney, Arnold house,
Bly Frank, High street
Bright Miss Marjorie Caroline, Park
Brown Mrs. F. J. Okeford
Budgeon Wing-Comdr. William
Douglas O.B.E. Goldﬁeld Mill
house, Miswell lane
Bushell Charles, Reservoir view,
Bushell Joseph, jun. The Gables,
Bussell Oswald Ernest, Greenways,
Butcher Arthur, Frogmore, Frog-
Collins Lady, Elm house, 101 High st
Cranham Joseph, 81 Miswell lane
Desborough Horace Victor, 1 Long-
Dix William Robert, Highclere,
Flower Maj. Stanley, 27 Park road
Fox Miss, Forge cottage, High street
Gates Baron Jn., Pembury, Station rd
Gilbert Ernest, Daisy cottage, Long-
Goddard George, 29 Longfield road
Grange Mrs. The Grove
Gurney Hubert Jas. 90 Dundale rd
Hackvale William Henry, Cow lane
Hedges Herbert Newman, Box Trees,
Western road .
Hickman Percy Reginald, Broadmead,
Hill Bertram, Farnleigh, Park road
Hodge Frederick Charles, The Her-
mitage, Aylesbury road
Honour Lionel Leonard, Bronte,
Houchen Ellis J. P. Hackford, Miswell
Hurdle Frederick John, 3 East Croft,
Jordan Karl D.Ph. Hildene, Aylesbury
Kemp Manley Colchester, Vicarage,
Kettle Robert James, 78 Dundale rd
Kew Charles Edwin, Englemere,
|Knox Henry Norman, Belle Vue,
MacDonald Arthur, Hazely, Station rd
Mead Misses, The Cedars, Station rd
Mead Wm. Newman, Gamnel, New Mill
Messenger Joseph, Danebury, Station
Middleton Brown Edward B.A., M.D.
Red lodge, Miswell lane
Nairne Sir Gordon bart. Furlongs,
Nevill Rev. William O.S.C., hon.C.F.
The Presbytery, 50 Langdon street
O’Keefe Charles Edward, Merstone,
O’Neill Col. Patrick Laurence C.I.E.,
I.M.S. Beech grove, Station road
Pollock Charles William, The Croft,
Pritchard Arthur Conway, Dale
house, Station road
Rodwell William Jesse, Hastoe villa,
Root William Joseph, Silk Mill house
Seymour Ralph, St. Maur, Grove rd
Smith John, Rose villa, Bulbourne rd
Smith Miss G. M. The Hollies, Brook
Stevens Greville Thomas Scott,
Netherby, Grove road
Thomas Harry Harvey, Southways,
Thomas Walt. Morris, Mill ho. Brook st
Thompson Samuel Edward, The
Laurels, Station road
Tomkins Alfd. Jas. 107 Western rd
Vaisey Arthur William, Holly ﬁeld
Vaisey Miss, Holly ﬁeld, Miswell la
Vaisey Mrs. Roland, The Bungalow,
Webb Norman, 49 Miswell lane
Westron Frank Lionel, Mulroy,
Wight Maj. Henry Rowe, Sandon,
Station road ,
Williams Miss, Hawkwell, Station rd
Williams Mrs. Joseph Grout, Pendley
Wood Rev. Claud Thomas Thellusson
M.C., M.A. (vicar), The Vicarage
Wright Edward, Westcroft, Western
Young George Thomas, High street
Early closing day, Wednesday.
Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over.
Agricultural Society (G. M. Brown,
sec.), 41 High st. T N’s 135 & 136
Allison Lucy A. (Mrs.), corn mer.
85 High st. T N 191
Anchor P.H. (Saml. Jn. Nightingale),
73 Western rd
Ancient Order of Foresters (Court
Albion, 4,423) (Jn. Hearn, 41 Park
rd. sec.), Church ho. Western rd
Arnold Saml. boot repr. 39 Western rd
Arthur’s (Arth. Gates, propr.), hair-
drssrs, 25a, High st. T N 230
Austin & Son, painters, 6 Goldfields.
T N 237
Ayres George & Son, dairymen, Bul-
bourne road, New Mill
Bagnall Arth. Jas. tailor & deputy
registrar of births & deaths for
Tring sub-district, Berkhamsted
district, 1 Albert st
Bagnall Edgar Wm. watch mkr. &
registrar of births & deaths for
Tring sub-district, Berkhamsted
district, 71 High st
Baker Leon Jn. grocer, 15 Western
rd. T N 255
Barclays Bank Ltd. (Ernest Geo.
Chandler, clerk in charge), 87
High st. (T N 61); head office, 54
Lombard st. London E C 3
Barker Ellen (Mrs.), beer retlr. (off
licence), 31 King st
Batchelor Cyril, shopkpr. Beacons-
ﬁeld rd. T N 215
Batchelor Geo. Hy. grocer, 30 & 32
Akeman st. T N 244
Bell Inn (Fredk. Dudley Taylor), 37
Bell E. (Mrs.), fruitr. 37 Frogmore st
Black Horse P.H. (Saml. C. Brown),
Bly Fredk. Stanley, furniture dlr.
Brook st. & 33 Western rd. T N 231
Bly Jn. antique dlr. 50 High st. T N
Bond Horace James & Sons, bakers,
25 Akeman street
Bovington Chas. smallholder, Miswell
Brandom Fredk. Wm. glazier, 24
Brandon Geo. Thos. house furnisher,
75 High st. T N 149
Brewery House Boarding Establish-
ment (Mrs. Mildred Hicks), board-
ing ho. 60 Akeman st
Britannia Inn (Mrs. M. Howard),
British Legion Club (Tring branch)
(W. Davis, sec.), Victoria hall,
Brocklehurst Edwd. motor engnr.
Market garage, Brook st. TN I22
Brooks Jesse Thomas, painter, The
Ferns, New Mill
Brooks Leslie, shopkpr. New Mill ter
Brown W. & Co. F.S.I. land agents,
auctioneers, surveyors & insurance
agents, 41 High street. T N’s 135
Bull Leonard, shopkpr. 20 Akeman st
Burch Edwin Hy. baker, 31 Frog-
more st. T N 131
Bushell Brothers, boat builders, New
Mill. T N 10
Butler Charles, chimney sweep, Mis-
Cash & Co. boot dlrs. 76 High st
Castle P.H. (Ephraim Hearn),Park rd
Castle M. A. (Mrs.), confctnr. 92
Cato Thos. boot & shoe repr. 23 Ake-
Childs Ernest, boot & shoe repr. 12
Clement Jn. T. & Son, watch & clock
mkrs. 33 High st. T N 197
Convent of St. Francis de Sales, day
school for girls & little boys, Ayles-
bury rd. T N 15
Cooper Fredk. Alfd. farrier, Akeman
Cosier & Son, ladies’ & gents’ tailors,
35 High st
Cox Frederick Wm. John, naturalist,
The Cottage, Queen st
Cross Geo. Wm. & Son, tailors, 106
High st. T N 247
De Fraine G. T. & Co. Ltd. statnrs.
High st. T N 13
Dix & Sear, butchers, 40 Akeman st.
T N 132
Dormer Albt. Ernest, undertaker,
see Osborn & Marcham. T N 262
Eggleton Wm. dairyman, Icknield way
Elvy Geo. Edwd. baker, Longﬁeld rd
Fancourt Wm. Philip, cycle agt. 47
Frogmore st. T N 25
Foskett George, boot & shoe dealer
38 High street
Fowler Thomas, shire horse breeder,
The Stud farm. T N 99
Fulks Gilbt. grocer, 53 High st. TN 11
Gaiety Cinema, Akeman st. T N 68
Gates Arth. statnr. 27 High st. TN
George Hotel (Geo. B. Webb), High
st. T N 108 .
Gilbert E. collector to Tring Urban
District Council, 38 Longﬁeld rd
Glover Thomas & Sons, grocers, 19
High street. T N 8
Goddard Geo.Wm. newsagt. 28High st
Goodliffe Geo. Chas. grocer, 38 Frog-
more st. T N 245
Gower A. & Son, garage proprs.
Western rd. T N 27
Gower Jn. & Son, coal mers. Queen
st T N 145
Gower Jn. & Sons, china & glass
dlrs. 56 & 57 High st
Gower Benj. Saunders, fruitr. 70
Western rd. T N 36
Grace Gilbert & Son, ironmongers,
68 High st. T N 3
Grace Frank, corn. merchant, 15 Aka-
man street (TN 102) & farmer,
Little Tring farm
Grace Harold Frank, baker, 66 Wes-
Grand Junction Arms P.H. (Alfd.
Grand Union Canal Pumping Station
& Reservoir (Geo. J. Mew, engnr.),
Little Tring. T N 71
Grange Herbt. & Co. corn mers. The
Grove. T N 16
Grange Herbt. (exors. of), farmers,
Grove farm. T N 125
Greening Wm. Rd. outﬁtter, 30
Gurney H. J. clerk to Tring Urban
District Council & Urban Local
Education Sub-Committee, Coun-
cil chmbrs. High st
Rt. ladies’ & gents’ tailor, 17
Hedges Jn. & Sons, decrtrs. Parson-
age pl. T N 4
Hedges Herbt. N. surveyor & sanitary
inspector to Tring Urban District
Council, Council chmbrs. High st.
T N 47
Hedges Rt. fruitr. Miswell la
Hobbs Jas. & Son, stone masons,
Hockney Edwd. Albt. nurseryman,
Longﬁeld rd. T A “Hockney,
Tring;” T N 151
Hockney Wm. farmer, Shire Lane frm
Honour J. & Son Limited, builders,
Akeman street. T N 14
Hopkins Fanny Elizabeth (Miss),
grocer, Miswell lane
Horne W. & Son, painters, Beacons-
field rd. T N 79
Howlett Cyril Alfd. shopkpr. & post
office, King st. T N 216
Howlett Florence (Miss), shopkpr. 87
Howlett Fredk. Chas. baker, 60 Wes-
Howlett Harold, hardware dealer, 21
& 22 Charles street
Hunt Albt. shopkpr. Bulbourne rd.
International Tea Co.’s Stores Ltd.
66 High st. T N 72
Ives Arth. Thos. milliner, 36 High
st. T N 73
Jacklin Fredk. Thos. & Son, hair-
drssrs.100 High st. T N 104
Johnson & Son, ﬁshmngrs. Frogmore
st. T N 45
Johnson & Son, fried ﬁsh dlrs. 13,
Jones Alfd. saddler, 98 High st.
T N 120
Keen Alice (Mrs.), shopkpr. 18 Henry
Kempster Rt. branch mngr. to
Ministry of Labour Employment
Exchange, 28 Miswell la. T N 65
Kent Fredk. Jas. upholsterer, 17
King’s Arms P.H. (Alfd. Wm.
Dufour), King st T N 192
Kingham Benj. cycle agt. 56 Western
rd. T N 167
Kirby Wm. shopkpr. 36 Albert st
Knight Wilfrid Sutherland, solctr.
(ﬁrm, Vaisey & Turner), 72 High
st. T N 39
Knox Hy. Norman M.R.G.S.Eng.,
L.R.C.P.Lond. physcn. & surgn.
(ﬁrm, O’Keeffe & Knox), 23 High
st. T N 51
Lipscombe Arth. farmer, Parsonage
Lockhart William Ltd. coal &coke
mers. 91 Western rd. T N 9
London Central Meat Co. Limited,
butchers, 35a, High st
London Passenger Transport Board;
omnibus depot, 44 Western rd.
T N 17
Lovibond’s (J. Lovibond, propr.),
wine & spirit mers. 25 High st.
T N 7
Luck Sidney Jsph. draper, 90 High
st. T N 141
Mead Hannah (Mrs.), farmer,Parson-
age Bottom farm & Western dairy,
High st. T N 254
Mead William Newman, miller, New
Mill. T N 20
Menday’s, butchers, 41 Western rd
Meux’s Brewery Co. Ltd. 60 Akeman
st. T N 202
Middleton Brown Edwd. B.A., M.D.,
L.R.C.P., M.R.C.S. physcn. &
surgn; & medical officer & public
vaccinator for Tring district, 91
High st. T N 43
Midland Bank Ltd. (branch) (P. A.
Turner, mngr.), 21 & 22 High st.
(T N 105); head office, Poultry,
London E C 2
Morrison Jn. Wm. Thos. & Co.
chemists & druggists, 74 High st.
T N 5
Museum Café Mrs. Clare Astle, pro-
prietress, 86 Akeman st
National Farmers’ Union (Tring
branch) (Leonard Newman, sec.),
St. Kilda, 93 High st. T N 19
National Provincial Bank Ltd. (Wm.
Percvl. Milton, mngr.), 20 High st.
(TN 48); head oiﬁce, 15 Bishops-
gate, London E C 2
Ney R. M. (Mrs.), dairyman, 68 Wes-
tern rd. T N 163
Oddfellows (Loyal Sincerity Lodge)
(Manchester Unity) (Frank Minall,
sec. Miswell lane), Vestry hall
O’Keeffe Chas. Edwd. L.R..C.P. &
S.I. physcn. & surgn. (firm,
O’Keeffe & Knox) & medical officer
& public vaccinator for the Aldbury
district of the Berkhamsted union
& certifying factory & Admiralty
surgn. 23 High st. T N 51
Osborn & Marcham (A. E. Dormer,
propr.), undertakers, Addiefield, 24
Western rd. T N 262
Park Thos. Norman, electrician, Ake-
man st. T N 208
Pheasant P.H. (Alfd. Ives), New Mill
Philbey Fredk. Geo. threshing ma-
chine & traction engine propr. New
Potter Bros. decrtrs. 77 High st.
T N 212
Pratt Harold, farmer, Wick farm.
T N 133
Pratt J. Alfred (1928) Ltd. bldrs.’
mers. 62 Western rd. T N 224
Pratt Jabez, insur. agt. 105 Western rd
Pratt John, farmer, Folly farm
Prentice Frank, scrap iron & metal
mer. 93 Longﬁeld rd. T N 207
Price Albt. leather sllr. 3 Frogmore st .
Prickett A. & G. printers, 91 Akeman st
Producers’ Supply Co. butchers, 21
Wingrave rd. New Mill. T N 115
Queen’s Arms P.H. Wingrave rd.
Reeve Jn. furniture dlr. 43 Frog-
Reeve Joseph, gardener to Arthur
Butcher esq. Frogmore street
Reeves Hy. Saml. hairdrssr.73 High st
Regal Cinema (Regal (Tring) Ltd.
proprs. (A. H. Miles, manager),
Western rd. T N 85
Hood P.H. (Mrs. Jessie Pear-
man), Brook st
Robins & Marriott, motor engnrs. 51
& 52 High st. T N 67
Rodwells Ltd. mineral water mfrs. 28
Akeman st. T N 21
Rolfe Fredk. & Son, coal mers. 53
Western rd. T N 37
ROSE & GROWN HOTEL
(Trust Houses Ltd. proprietors).
T N 26
Rothschild Zoological Museum (Dr.
Karl Jordan, director; open to the
public, mon. tues. wed. & fri.), Ake-
man st. (T N 55) & Park rd
Sallery & Son, butchers, 24 High st.
T N 142
Sanders & Sons, fruitrs. 34. High st.
T N 52
Sayer &. Sons, hairdrssrs. 9 Akeman
st. & 75 Western rd. T N 253
Sinﬁeld Sidney Arth. motor engnr.
Grove rd. New Mill
Singlehurst Samuel, butcher, 55
High street. T N 49
Smith Alex. chemist, 26 High st.
T N 58
Smithson G. A. (Miss), draper, 29
Snipper Mervyn L.D.S.R.C.S.Eng.
dental surgn. Bayley, Western rd
Stewart’s (Jn. L. Stewart, proprietor),
nurserymen, seedsmen, florists,
fruit growers & retailers, 18 High
street & Mortimer hill. T N 211
Stratford Mrs. blacksmith, 54 High st
Swan P.H. (Hy. Ives), 54 Akeman st
Sykes Herbt. shopkpr. 11 Akeman st
Tarmar & Eldridge, boot reprs. 32
High st. & 2 Albert st
ºTimberlake Joseph, farmer,
farm. T N 42
Tring Cemetery (H. J. Gurney, clerk;
Chas. Fitkin, supt.), Aylesbury rd
Tring Co-operative Industrial &
Provident Society Ltd. (Edward
Wright, sec.), 58, 59 & 60 High
street; Charles street & 67 High
street. T N 35
Tring & District Conservative Club
(Fredk. Wm. Jn. Cox, sec.),
High st. T N 118
Tring Fat Stock Sale (W. Brown &
Tring Gas. Co. (Lionel Rd. Fender,
manager & sec.); works, office &
showrooms, Brook st. T N 175
Tring Nursing Home (Lord Roths-
child, president; Miss M. Bond,
nurse in charge), Station rd. T N 91
Tring Park Estate Office
(Geo. Thos. Young, agt.), High st.
T N 29
Turner Ada, N. (Miss) F.B.O.A.
optician (attends every mon. & fri.
11 a.m. to 7 p.m.), 64 High st.
T N 134
Turner Arth. F.B.O.A. optician
(attends every mon. & fri. 11 a.m.
to 7 p.m.), 64 High st. T N 134
Turney Arth. Edwd. boot repr. 81
Underwood Arth. bldr. New Mill
Urban District Isolation Hospital (for
staff, see Official section), Little
Tring rd. T N 38
Vaisey & Turner, solctrs. 72 High st.
T N 39
Vaisey Arth. Wm. solctr. (ﬁrm,Vaisey
& Turner, 72 High st. T N 39
Venning Jn. Geo. greengro. 46 Frog-
more st. & 77 Western rd. T N 139
Victoria Inn (Arth. Edwd. Poll),
Wade Albt. Edwd. Harry, grocer, &
post office, New Mill. T N 236
Waldock Fredk. Geo. baker, 83 High st
Warrior Rt. baker,89 & 90 Akeman st
Webb Kenneth R. solctr. (ﬁrm, Vaisey
& Turner), 72 High st. T N 39
Westcott Thos. W. head gardener to
Mrs. Williams, Pendley Beeches
Westﬁeld Preparatory School for Girls
& Boys (Miss Huckvale, principal),
Aylesbury rd. T N 150
Wheeler Bros. (S. F. Wheeler, propr.),
drapers, 48 & 49 High st. T N 95
Wilkins Alice (Miss), shopkpr. New
Wilkins Wltr. cowkeeper, Bulbourne
rd. New Mill
Wilson Capt. Albt. C., M.R.C.V.S.
veterinary surgn. (attends mon.),
Cattle Market, Brook st
Woodward Geo. grocer, 18 Akeman st
Wright A. H. & Son, window cleaners,
42 Akeman st
Wright & Sons, butchers, 39 High st.
T N 18
Wright & Wright, motor car
agents & carriage& motor car body
builders, 110 & 112 Western road.
T N 12
Wright Ernest, upholsterer, 61 Ake-
Wright Frank, farmer, Dunsley farm.
T N 248
Wright Geo. baker, 65 Longﬁeld rd
Wright P. (gardener to N. M. Victor
Rothschild esq.), The Gardens,
Young Hy. Jas. shopkpr. 54 Western rd
A DESCRIPTION OF HERTFORDSHIRE
Kelly’s Directory, 1937 edition.
HERTFORDSHIRE, often shortened into Herts, is an inland
shire, in the south-east of England, bounded on the north by
Cambridgeshire, south by Middlesex, east by Essex, north-west by
Bedfordshire and south-west by Buckinghamshire: it is of irregular
form, of no peculiar natural features, and lies between 51° 36’ and
52° 5’ of north latitude, and 0° 13’ east and 0° 45' west longitude:
it is one of the smaller shires, both for size and population,
though by no means inconsiderable: it measures 37½ miles from east
to west, and 31 from north to south, and the greatest length, which
is from Royston to Rickmansworth, from north-east to south-west, is
39 miles. By Local Government Board Order, 11 June, 1895, Nettleden
was transferred from the county of Bucks to this county, and part of
Royston from Cambridgeshire, and Kensworth and parts of Caddington
and Studham were transferred, 1897, to Bedfordshire, and Holwell
from Bedfordshire. By the Counties of Bedford and Hertford
(Alteration of County Boundaries) Order, 1906, and the Counties of
Buckingham and Hertford (Alteration of Boundaries) Order, 1906,
which came into operation 1st April, 1907, certain parts of Beds and
Bucks were added to Herts and certain parts of Herts transferred to
Beds and Bucks.
The area of the administrative county is 404,523 acres (including
inland water). The population in 1881 was 203,069, and in 1891,
220,162. In 1901 the population was:— Ancient county, 250,152 and
administrative county, 258,423. The population of the administrative
county in 1911 was 311,284, in 1921, 333,195, and in 1931, 401,206,
viz.: males, 189,663; females, 211,543. Although the county town is
within 20 miles of London, yet the shire hardly partakes of the
metropolitan character, but is largely agricultural.
The history of Hertfordshire presents few features of importance.
After the Euskardians had been driven out, it was held by the Welsh
and Belgians. At the time of Cæsar’s inroad, it seems to have
belonged to the Belgian tribe of the Cateuchlani, and perhaps the
Trinabantes held part. The Romans having taken the country, had a
capital municipium at Verulamium, being one of the Chief towns in
Britain; Watling Street passed through it, and roads branched out
all round. In the year 61, Boadicea, at the head of a number of
British savages, captured this town and slaughtered the population.
By the Romans, Herts was included. in the province of Flavia
Cæsariensis: they had stations at Ad Fines, or Ermine Street
(probably at Braughing), and at Bishop’s Stortford, Royston and
Cheshunt; on Icknield Street, at Wilbury Hill, they had a camp.
On the English taking the county it seems to have first formed a
Commonwealth under the name of the North Saxons, and was afterwards
shared between the kingdoms of Essex, or the East Saxons, and
Mercia, or the Mid-English; and it is thought the late boundary
between the dioceses of London and Lincoln formed the boundary of
the kingdom. The English settlers were mostly of the same clans as
those in Middlesex and Essex. The great kings of the Middle English
dwelt in the shire: it is remarkable for the number of “buries,”
shewing it was thickly settled by the English. There is a “bury” in
each township, commonly a mile away from the old homestead, now the
town or hamlet. In 896 a severe contest took place in the county
between King Alfred and the Danes. In the wars of the Roses three
great battles were fought here: in 1455 at St. Albans, when the
Lancastrians were vanquished; in 1461 at St. Albans, when the
Yorkists were overthrown; and in 1468 at Barnet, when the
Lancastrians were defeated.
The district is undulating, but can hardly be described as hilly,
the greatest rise being in the chalk downs, about 908 feet high:
these chalk downs are the continuation of the Chiltern hills, and
bound the shire on the extreme north. The climate is mild, and the
county, being well wooded and tilled, is picturesque. The mineral
characteristics of the district are neither varied nor important;
the only minerals raised in 1931 were 10,607 tons of chalk; 19,099
tons of clay and shale, 863,211 tons of gravel and sand and 397 tons
of sand. The medicinal springs are few; they are at Barnet, Cuffley,
near Northaw, Welwyn and Hemel Hempstead. Chalk is burnt for lime,
and bricks are made.
The county is well watered by numerous and navigable streams, on
which are many mills. The rivers are principally small feeders of
the Thames, except those in the north, which ﬂow towards the Ouse.
The Stort, which form the south-east boundary of the county for a
considerable distance, and is navigable through that length, passes
by Bishop’s Stortford and Sawbridgeworth to join the river Lee. This
latter traverses the county from west to east, rising at Leagrave,
in Bedfordshire, and pursuing a total course, till its junction with
the Thames, of 50 miles; entering the shire near Harpenden, it
passes near Hatﬁeld to below Hertingfordbury, where it receives the
Maran or Mimram, a mill stream; at Hartford, where it is navigable,
it receives the Beane, a mill stream, ﬂowing from north to south,
and soon after the Rib, also ﬂowing from north to south; it turns
many mills, and after receiving the Quin, passes Buntingford; next
it receives the Ash, and ultimately the Stort, and pursues its
navigable course along the eastern border of the county, by
Hoddesdon to Waltham Abbey. The management of the navigable river
Lee is vested in trustees under several Acts of Parliament; the
funds, which are considerable, arising from tolls, are wholly laid
out in the improvement and maintenance of the navigation; in 1850 a
Bill was passed for improving this navigation. The Colne, the other
chief river of the south, rises near Hatfield, and proceeds to
Colney Street, where it receives a small brook; and a little lower
down takes in the Verlan, which passes by St. Albans, turning some
mills: it then passes Watford. and receives the Gade, which is fed
by the Bulbourne from Berkhamsted, and passing Rickmansworth
receives the Chess, thence ﬂowing into Middlesex. The Grade and the
Lower Colne are nearly absorbed by the Grand Junction Canal. Some of
the head springs of the Thames rise near Tring. The Ivel rises at
Baldock, and a feeder of it near Benton. The Hiz, passing near
Hitchin, the Oughton and the Pirral, are feeders of the Ouse, ﬂowing
north into Bedfordshire, and are inconsiderable streams. The Rhea,
or Rhee, rises near Ashwell, and is a feeder of the Cam.
The New River is an artificial cut, made to convey water to London;
it was begun in 1608, and runs along the valley of the Lee, taking
its chief supplies from Amwell and Chadwell, two springs near
The Grand Union Canal comes into Hertfordshire near Tring, and soon
enters the valley of the Gade, and afterwards that of the Colne,
which it follows through Middlesex to West Drayton, passing by
Tring, Berkhamsted, Hemel Hempstead, Watford and Rickmansworth, with
branches to Aylesbury and Wendover.
Three main lines pass through the county from south to north, viz.:
the London, Midland and Scottish on the western border and through
the mid-west portion and the London and North Eastern through the
centre and along the eastern border.
The London and North Western section of the London, Midland and
Scottish railway enters the county at a point south of Watford, from
which station a branch goes off westward to Richmansworth and one
north-east to St. Albans, the main line continuing through
Berkhamsted, Tring to Rugby and the North.
The Midland section of the same railway enters the county at Elstree,
passes through St. Albans, and leaves the county again a little
north of Harpenden, where a branch goes south-west to Hemel
Hempstead, the main line continuing on via Luton to the North. There
is also a line from Bedford, via Shefford, to Hitchin.
The Great Northern section of the London and North Eastern railway
enters the county close to Brookman’s Park, running to Hatfield,
whence branches go west to St. Albans, east to Hartford and
north-west through Harpenden to Luton and Dunstable, the main line
continuing through Welwyn, Stevenage and Hitchin, and leaving the
county near Ickleford; from Hitchin, a branch runs to Cambridge
through Baldock and Royston; and a loop line from Wood Green to
Stevenage (via. Cuffley and Hertford North) connecting at Stevenage,
with the main lines to and from the north.
The Great Eastern section of the same railway enters the county near
Waltham Abbey, and skirts the eastern border, sending off a branch
below Rye House to Hertford and Ware, from which another branch runs
oﬁ at St. Margarets to Buntingford, while the main line continues by
Sawbridgeworth and Bishop’s Stortford to Cambridge.
The Great Central section of the London and North Eastern railway
runs through the south-west corner of the county, entering it near
Moor Park and Sandy Lodge, passing through Rickmansworth, and
leaving it again after a few miles at Chorley Wood.
A new Metropolitan and London & North Eastern Joint line (opened
Nov. 2, 1925) runs from near Moor Park and Sandy Lodge station to
Watford, with a station at Croxley Green.
Hertfordshire is best known for its husbandry, and for the growth of
the best white wheat; the shire yields, besides grain, turnips,
vegetables and hay for the London market, also apples, cherries,
currants and strawberries. There is a good deal of coppice and wood.
The nurseries are famous for the growth of roses, which carry off a
great many of the prizes in London. Many cattle, sheep, pigs and
poultry are fed for London.
The manufactures are — silk and paper. The malt trade, brewing,
tanning, currying, brick, tile and pipe making; canvas making and
weaving and coach making are carried on. The number of millers is
large. The county is in the South Eastern Circuit. There was
formerly a separate commission of the peace for St. Alban liberty,
but by the County of Hertford and Liberty of St Alban Act, 1874, the
county was arranged in two divisions, the eastern called the
Hertford (comprising 10 petty sessional divisions), and the western
the liberty of St. Alban division (comprising 4 petty sessional
divisions), but these divisions have been abolished and the county
now comprises 15 petty sessional divisions, viz. :— Albury (sittings
at Much Hadham), Barnet, Bishop’s Stortford, Buntingford, Cheshunt,
Dacorum (sittings at Great Berkhamsted, Hemel Hempstead and
Markyate), Hatﬁeld, Hertford, Hitchin, Odsey (sittings at Royston),
St. Albans, Stevenage (sittings at Stevenage and Watton), Ware,
Watford (sittings at Watford and Rickmansworth) and Welwyn. Note: —
Unless otherwise stated the sittings are held at the place giving
name to the division.
The prison at St. Albans is the county prison; courts of quarter
sessions are held at Hertford and St. Albans, the Epiphany and
Midsummer adjourned sessions at Hertford and the Easter and
Michælmas adjourned sessions at St. Albans. The County Courts are
held at Barnet and Watford in Circuit 23; Bishop’s Stortford,
Hitchin and Royston in Circuit 35 ; St. Albans in Circuit 37 and
Hertford in Circuit 38. St. Albans and Hertford Courts have
jurisdiction in bankruptcy. There are seven Coroner’ s districts —
Bishop’s Stortford, Hemel Hempstead, Hertford, Hitchin, Royston, St.
Albans and Watford. The shire forms the archdeaconry of St. Albans,
in the diocese of St. Albans and province of Canterbury, and is
divided into the following rural deaneries:—Baldock, Barnet,
Berkhamsted, Bishop’s Stortford, Buntingford, Hartford, Hitchin, St.
Albans, Ware, Watford and Welwyn .
St. Albans, which is a Cathedral City, had a population in 1931 of
28,624. Hertford is a municipal borough, population 11,378; also
Watford, population 56,805; and Hemel Hempstead, population 15,119.
The other towns are Baldock, population, 3,170; Barnet, 14,726;
Great Berkhamsted, 8,052; Bishop’s Stortford, 9,510; Cheshunt,
14,656; Hitchin, 14,383; Hoddesdon, 6,811; Letchworth, 14,454;
Rickmansworth, 10,809; Royston, 3,831; Sawbridgeworth, 2,604;
Stevenage, 5,476; Tring, 4,364; Ware, 6,181.
The Registration Districts are :—
Under the provisions of the Local Government Act, 1929, the
administration of the Poor Law was transferred to the Hertfordshire
County Council on 1st April 1930.
The following is a list of the Rural Districts in the county:—
Herts is divided into eight hundreds, which are very much scattered.
The following is a list of the hundreds, with the places comprised
in each :—
Hundred of Braughing:— Bishop’s Stortford, Braughing,
Eastwick, Gilston, Hunsdon, Sawbridgeworth, Standon, Stanstead
Abbotts, Thorley, Thundridge, Ware, Westmill and Widford.
Hundred of Broadwater:— Aston, Ayot St. Lawrence, Ayot St.
Peter, Baldock, Bennington, Bishop’s Hatfield, Datchworth, Digswell,
Graveley, Great Munden, Knebworth, Letchworth, Little Munden, Sacomb,
Stevenage, Totteridge, Walkern, Watton-at-Stone, Welwyn, Weston,
Willian, Great Wymondley and Little Wymondley.
Hundred of Cashio:— Abbots Langley, Aldenham (part of),
Bramfield, Chipping or High Barnet, Chorley Wood, Codicote, East
Barnet, Elstree, Hexton, Newnham, Northaw, Norton, Redbourn,
Rickmansworth Rural, Rickmansworth Urban, Ridge, St. Albans, St.
Michael Rural, St. Paul’s Walden, St. Peter Rural, St. Stephen,
Sandridge Rural, Sarrett, Shephall, Watford Rural, and Watford
Hundred of Dacorum:— Aldbury, Aldenham (part of), Bovingdon,
Bushey, Flamstead, Flaunden, Great Berkhamsted Rural, Great
Berkhamsted Urban, Great Gaddesden, Harpenden, Hemel Hempstead,
Kensworth, Kings Langley, Little Gaddesden, Markyate, North Mimms,
Northchurch, Puttenham, Shenley, Tring Rural, Tring Urban,
Wheathampstead and Wigginton.
Hundred of Edwinstree:—Albury, Anstey, Aspenden, Barkway,
Barley, Brent Pelham, Buckland, Furneux Pelham, Great or Much Hadham,
Great Hormead, Layston, Little Hadham, Little Hormead, Meesden,
Nuthamstead, Stocking Pelham, Throcking and Wyddial.
Hundred of Hertford:— Bayford, Bengeo Rural, Brickendon
Rural, Broxbourne, Cheshunt, Essendon, Great Amwell, Hertford,
Hertingfordbury, Hoddesdon Rural, Hoddesdon Urban, Little Amwell,
Little Berkhamsted, St Andrews Rural, St. John Rural, Stanstead St.
Margaret; Stapleford, Tewin and Wormley.
Hundred of Hitchin:— Hitchin Urban, Ickleford, Ippollitts,
Kimpton, Offley, Kings Walden, Langley, Lilley, Pirton, Preston and
Hundred of Odsey:— Ardeley, Ashwell, Broadﬁeld, Bygrave,
Caldecote, Clothall, Cottered, Hinxworth, Kelshall, Radwell, Reed,
Royston, Rushden, Sandon, Therlield and Wellington.
PARLIAMENTARY REPRESENTATION OF HERTFORDSHIRE.
Hertfordshire, under the Representation of the People Act, 1918,
returns ﬁve members in ﬁve divisions.
No. 1. — The Hitchin division comprises the rural districts
of Hitchin & Welwyn, that part of the rural district of Braughing
not included in the Hertford division and the part of the rural
district of Hertford which consists of the civil parishes of Aston,
Bennington, Datchworth, Sacombe, Walkern & Watton-at-Stone & the
urban districts of Baldock, Hitchin, Royston & Stevenage
Member for the Hitchin Division.—Lt.-Col. Sir Arnold Talbot Wilson
K.C.I.E., C.S.I., C.M.G., D.S.O. (C.) Wynches, Much Hadham &
Athenaeum club, London
No. 2.—The Hertford division comprises the rural district of
Ware, the part of the rural district of Braughing which consists of
the civil parishes of Albury, Braughing, Brent Pelham, Furneux
Pelham, High Wych, Little Hadham, Much Hadham, Stocking, Pelham &
Thorley, the part of the rural district of Hertford which is not
included in the Hitchin division, the municipal borough of Hertford
& the urban districts of Bishop’s Stortford, Cheshunt, Hoddesdon,
Sawbridgeworth & Ware
Member for the Hertford Division.—Rear-Admiral Sir Murray Fraser
Sueter C.B. (C.), The Howe, Howehill, Watlington, Oxon & Royal Aero
No. 3.—The St. Albans division comprises the rural districts
of Barnet & Hatfield, the part of the rural district of St. Albans
which is not included in the Hemel Hempstead division, the municipal
borough of St. Albans & the urban districts of Barnet & East Barnet
Member for the St. Albans Division.— Lt.-Col. Sir Francis Edward
Fremantle O.B.E., T.D., M.A., M.D., M.Ch., D.L., J.P. (C.), Bedwell
park, Hatfield, Herts & Carlton & Union clubs, London
No. 4. —The Watford division comprises the part of the rural
district of Watford which is not included in the Hemel Hempstead
division, the municipal borough of Watford & the urban districts of
Bushey, Chorley Wood 8: Rickmansworth
Member for the Watford Division. — Rt. Hon. Sir Dennis Henry Herbert
K.B.E., M.A., J.P. (C.), Clarendon lodge, Clarendon road, Watford &
380 Gresham house, Old Broad street EC2 & Carlton, City of London &
St. Stephen’s clubs, London
No. 5. — Hemel Hempstead division comprises the rural
districts of Berkhamsted & Hamel Hempstead, the part of the rural
district of St. Albans which consists of the civil parishes of
Harpenden Rural, Redbourn & Wheathampstead, the part of the rural
district of Watford which consists of the civil parishes of Abbots
Langley & Sarratt, the municipal borough of Hemel Hempstead & the
urban districts of Great Berkhamsted, Harpenden & Tring
Member for the Hemel Hempstead Division, Viscountess Davidson O.B.E.
(C.), 16 Great College street, London S.W.1